Wednesday, March 26, 2008

July 12th, 2006: All-Star Game

East 98, West 92

Tamika Catchings for All-Star MVP! What do you mean, it doesn't make sense?


Dupree and Whalen both hit half-court shots, FYI, and Douglas came close on *all* her attempts, which is pretty damn impressive.

When did dancing become All-Star tradition? And why did the East do something that resembled the Electric Slide?

Coach T was hysterical- got in a few good digs. He took a whack at Taurasi when they had kids up for a shooting contest and the young lady in a Taurasi jersey missed badly- "shooting just like the real one did" or words to that effect. He also got in a shot at Laimbeer regarding Katie Smith at the point- "you've been used as a point guard all year and now you don't want to shoot" or words to that effect. Just to put the capper on the East injuries, he's also got a boot on his foot. Yes, even our coach is injured.

More player sightings in the stands than I've ever seen at a practice. Someone brought up Shay Doron. I also spotted Crystal Robinson (in a gods-awful green and poop-brown striped shirt), Vickie Johnson, Chantelle Anderson, Kristen Mann, Kayte Christensen, Elaine Powell (is anyone surprised she spent as much time as possible schmoozing with the Shock All-Stars?), Kristin Haynie, Ruthie Bolton, Ashley Battle, and a very tall, very attractive (looked a bit like a slightly darker Tangela Smith), very familiar young black woman who came in with Haynie- problem was I couldn't ID her! Taj spent the skills challenge up in the seats with Maia, who is sooooooo cuuuuuute in her mommy's jersey, although Mama Taj probably shouldn't have let Keesh do the kid's hair.

LJ looked about as thrilled to be there as if someone had told her she was the test subject for Katie Smith's mad dentistry skillz. Seriously, she was in pain. She sat out practice, and I honestly don't think she should be playing. Keesh on the sidelines also looked miserable. Catch was at least healthy enough to handle passes for her team.

Appreciative vibes go out to Cheryl Ford, who turned back from her quest for the locker room three times in order to acquiesce to an autograph or picture request. But the award for participation definitely goes to Diana Taurasi. A group of kids behind us were shrieking her name and shrieking her name, so she ran into the stands. I'll have pictures in a bit.

Oh, wow. Wow. I witnessed history, man. History!

Got to Summer Jam around 12 on account of I was *trying* to sort out my open practice photos. Walked up and down a bit. Walked up and down a bit more. I sheepishly admit to chasing Dupree for an autograph. Netted Seimone to complete the set. Also got Whalen... on the blank part of a poem someone out in Minnesota had written in her honor. It's very nifty.

Summer Jam, of course, went completely kaflooey when the thunderstorms hit. I never did get to do the Hannspree thing with the recording of the commentary, and I'm not big on shooting contests, so most of my time at Summer Jam was spent looking for fans and convincing them that I wasn't crazy for wanting a picture. Sadly, I failed the census- didn't see anyone in Silver Stars gear, didn't get a picture of the woman in the Sting jersey, and forgot to photograph a Liberty fan in gear.

I love how Sacramento fans travel. They come loud and proud, and with a different outfit for every occasion. I saw almost more people in Monarchs gear than in Liberty gear. It was amazing. Also saw a few Seattle fans (as compared to Bird fans) and, of course, a few Phoenix fans (as compared to Taurasi fans). More details about the fans are in the photo gallery.

Here's my outlandish statement of the night: Tamika Catchings for All-Star MVP.

No, I'm not crazy. No, I'm not hallucinating. No, I'm not flashing back to a game where she was healthy. I mean that Tamika Catchings, by way of her injury, helped the Eastern Conference win their first-ever All-Star Game.

Consider this: if Catch had not been injured, Katie Douglas, our ASG MVP, would not have started, and probably not played as many minutes. Also consider this: if Catch had not been injured, Candice Dupree would not have been named to the team. Would we have won with a 50% Catch, less time for KT, and no Dupree?

I'm not wishing injury on her. I never would. But this was possibly the biggest silver lining ever.

Why must we hear the pop tarts singing the league's theme song live? It's not like we haven't heard it eight hundred times already. I'm still holding out for real chicks with picks, although at least those two pick.

Heather Headley *nailed* the anthem. She has wonderful range and emoted the song quite a bit- almost too much for my taste. Almost.

Whoever suggested Becky, on her crutches, make a speech to the crowd ought to have their ankle repeatedly hit with a lead pipe, after which they will be expected to stand for long periods of time and smile. She was hurtin', man, absolutely hurtin'.

Lisa Leslie had the worst game I've seen her play all year. Helluva way to prove you should have started, huh, LLL? Not that Yo was much better on offense, but she contributed defensively. Jackson didn't play much, looked hurt. The rookies looked like they were most into the Western Conference style of All-Star play; Cappie and Seimone looked like they were having a lot of fun out there, especially Cappie with the neat passes and the trick dribbling. I don't even remember what half of the Western All-Stars did out there, to be honest with you. I do think Swoopes looked good- took an NBA three or two- and Staley was apparently untouchable (I swear, players were backing off as soon as she got involved in a play, and if I were Coach Whiz, I would have exploited that). Snow may have been the best center of the group tonight, and I'm not just talking about that real, live, honest-to-God, grab-the-rim-and-don't-get-your-fingers-stuck dunk she put up.

As for the East… OMG Katie Douglas. I thought she was gunning for a triple-double in that first quarter. Bing bing bing with the threes. She's amazing and consistent and can we pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease keep her in New York? Likewise, Candice Dupree. She is so smooth. So, so, so smooth. She combines the finesse of a perimeter player with the moves of a post, and she is so… wow. I've never been so wrong about a player as I was when she came out of college, and I've never loved being wrong so much. I wouldn't mind her either. Lindsay Whalen had one sequence where she was just throwing up circus shots and they were falling. Show-off. I say that with a smile tonight. Taj and Cheryl Ford were tough on the inside, but Ford has GOT to work on her hands. Margo had a couple of monster "not in my rented house" blocks that got the crowd roaring. Tamika Whitmore played like she had something to prove- maybe she did. I think she was happy to be back on her terms instead of Blaze's. I wanted to see Tangela Smith score, but near the end of the game, she just didn't get herself in post position for the basket. Tweety didn't impress me except for some of her passes, and I really wish she'd stop trying to dunk in games, because it has yet to work and it looks kind of sad when they have to clear space from halfcourt on. I'd rather have seen T. Smith hit a lay-up to round out the totals and hit 100. Nice outfits on the bench for the East, with special attention to Keesh's cute little dress; she never struck me as the type to wear frocks, but she does. It's disconcerting.

We hung out for autographs after the game. Those people, not the usual crowd, were INSANE. They rushed the bus! When Dawn Staley and Tangela Smith tried to board, people were running after them, grabbing them… it was freaky. I've never seen so many crazy people, and I'm a little crazy myself. Coming out of the employees' entrance (which I keep calling the stage door after the Radio City stay), we saw Wendy Palmer and her scooter- didn't get to hear the horn, though- Ticha Penicheiro, Iciss Tillis, and Tamika Whitmore. We saw Ashley Battle go back in- she must have forgotten something. Lots of players at the game. Obviously VJ, Palmer, Mabika, Dixon, Spoon, Lobo, Mighty Ruthie, and Ticha, but someone also spotted Shameka Christon, Mistie Williams and another player came through the bus entrance (holy SHIT, does Mrs. Williams clean up well!), and Erin Phillips was kind enough to sign for me from her seat. A few collegiate sightings- I think we saw RU's Katie Adams in the fast food place down in Penn Station, while my mom spotted Mercedes Dukes, Kia Wright, and Lisa Claxton of St. John's. Someone also said they saw Crystal, which… actually kind of sucks if you went early to their party, doesn't it? My mom actually has the funniest one of those stories to tell: as she told me, she was sitting next to the "most obnoxious little kid", who kept screaming in her ear. Normally, this would be a cue for her to tell the kid to shut up. The problem? The kid's name was Jordan. Yes, that one. He was sitting with daddy dearest; presumably Mommy 2 was closer to the action.

I will gladly live through horrible Summer Jams and wretched weather in exchange for an Eastern Conference win. That was… if you had told me we'd pull that off with three injured starters, I would have laughed in your face. Wow.

No comments: