Wednesday, March 26, 2008

June 30th, 2006: San Antonio at New York

San Antonio Silver Stars 91, New York Liberty 78

The Game Notes are tired. The Game Notes are sick. The Game Notes miss Vickie Johnson.


Ugh. I'm still trying to sort out my thoughts from this game, but they keep turning into a diatribe against the incompetency in the front office.

We started a "Blaze must go!" chant. It didn't get very far, but it was there. We're seriously considering bagheads. Keira and jersey can attest to this: last night I was spittin' mad after the game; first thing I did when I saw Keira was ask why she wasn't trying to kill Blaze.

I'm a Noo Yawka. I live and die by my New York teams, and it's all the Liberty's fault. Now I find myself turning against them. The last few games, I've found myself rooting against this team, even as I sit in their arena in their gear. I'm tired of watching Becky hoist up shots for no discernable reason, looking for all the world like she should be wearing Iverson or Marbury's #3. I'm tired of seeing Shameka out of control, control that could have been taught if she'd been mentored for one more year, especially by Crystal but maybe even by VJ. I'm tired of seeing Cathrine regress, tired of thinking that one more year with Elena could have done her a world of good. I'm tired of seeing the hook return on Loree, tired of being sure that Spoon could teach her more than Patty's ever forgotten.

I'm tired of seeing Patty without a clue about how to coach a team and how to run a team. DNP-CD for Ashley and Kiesha is unacceptable when Dan Hughes put Jae Cross in the game and was class enough not to call for a last shot when they got the last offensive rebound. Swear to God that woman is trying to kill Cathrine in the second quarter- I should NOT be able to discern how exhausted a player is from the 200s; why did you guys think Feenstra went off on her?

I'm sick to death of Blaze's smarmy smirk, tired of this whole goddamn circus, tired of no freebies and hiding the extra roster cards postgame. Anyone notice that they didn't announce autograph sections the last couple of nights? Or that there haven't been team photos? Or that they didn't mention Play-By-Play? I swear, this is approaching the Alumni Hall game experience from the bottom.

Most of all, I am sick to my stomach at the realization that last night, the only Liberty player who owned the Garden floor, who played with the fire in her eyes and the torch in her heart... was the only Liberty player who still wears black.


WTF is up with the boxscore? It wasn't an OT game; how does Shameka play 40:19?

We win this game if we have VJ; we win this game if San Antonio doesn't. She was so smooth, so clutch, so damn good.

Damn, but Katie Feenstra is huge. She was running a bit funny last night, almost limping. Her entrance into the game was also greeted by a lightbulb inthe rafters exploding. Tres strange. She gets around people surprisingly well. Of course, it helps when the people she's getting around are wheezing for air and glancing at the bench begging for relief. She and Anderson make an interesting pair in the post.

Sophia Young... she's slick. I was going to say she didn't impress me, but then I went to the box and there she was with 13 points and leading the Silver Stars in assists.

Is it just my imagination, or did San Antonio make their decisive first-half push with Ivanyi at point instead of Pee-Wee? I'd bet a dime on her being in the most effective +/- lineups. (I can't bet a quarter. I already have it on Greenwalt being picked up by the Liberty. )

I think the PA guy loves Biba's name. A'course, I have no idea whether he got it right or not. She's bigger than I'd thought.

I will not rant about Loree rebounding better than every post except Schuey. I will not rant about Loree rebounding better than every post except Schuey. I will not rant about Loree rebounding better than every post except Schuey. I will not... oh, fuck it. Barbara, Cathrine, Iciss, Shameka, WTF?!

No comments: