Friday, October 13, 2017

October 13th, 2017: Red Storm Tip-Off

For mispronunciations, tablets, dancing, and pretending to care, join your intrepid and cranky blogger after the jump.

I wasn't supposed to be here tonight. Tonight was supposed to be D&D night. But DM changed the session date, so here I am at Red Storm Tip-Off, laptop battery dead. Here's to 90 minutes of loud music I don't actually like, 15 minutes of WBB intros, 5 minutes of awkward dancing, 5 minutes of drills, and a whole bunch of men's shit I don't care about.

Damn it. I should be being my pirate (and Pirate) affiliated rogue right now.

Security should not be surprised at large numbers of backpacks at an on-campus event.

I'm in the second deck equivalent of my usual perch in section 2.

Looks like we're going to have, or have had, an alumni game. Uniformed people all seem to be dudes, but there are women on the home bench (well, the WBB home bench) who look like Day and Jade. They weren't

One ridiculously strong dude just one-handed a trey. Jade, if that is you, don't get any ideas.

Ugh, I forgot how gated STJ's WiFi is.

I'm not really following the alumni game. Bunch of guys trying to pull off moves they can't anymore.

We've reached the "make random noise for free things" stage, or at least the first such.

Guy behind me just had to explain who Anthony Mason Jr's dad was. I think my soul just aged another year or so.

WTF Sky where did you wander in from? I know you weren't on the long list of alumni announced at the start of the game. (And she was mostly decorative. Pretend to care, Sky...)

I don't do group activities that involve hugging or holding total strangers. WTF.

Oh, fantastic, home opener is a 4:30 Friday tip doubleheader with the men. Horse apples. And students can wander between the women's game and the pregame rally. It's not a pregame rally IF THE GAME IS HAPPENING.

St. John's, you make it really hard to love you when you make it clear the institution doesn't support the team. The more successful team.

Cheer doing their thing. Lifts are a little shaky, but ambitious.

Dance looks like they're next up. But I may strangle Dave the PA guy if I have to hear the announcement loop more than once more.

No, next is a mixed group. Dance has a dude again! And he is *built*. Insert George Takei saying "Oh myyyyyyyyy!" here. Maybe he'll get pom-poms. It's sexist for male dancers not to get pom-poms if female dancers do.

Dance is already in midseason form. Oh man, the competitive routines are going to be fire! I'm feeling another national championship. I'm hyped already!

Finally! We have the mixed intro video! Not bad.

Please God let Kayla be good, because oh my God that build, we haven't had a center in ten years. Maybe more. OMG.

Imma guess the other freshman is... I think that's the Guyanese flag? She rocked it.

If Brelove didn't have a career at VCU I'd swear Jade sneaked herself another year of eligibility.

Oh, good, the awkward group dance routines aren't just a women's thing.

I swear to God, that's not how you say Quinnipiac.

Machi looks like she's bulked up a bit, in a good way.

Andrayah doesn't seem to be into the dance thing. Woman after my own heart.

I don't think that's how you say Temecula, either.

Alisha has hair! Long, shiny hair!

Marcus Lovett entered through the seats, crowned and robed... and wearing 20. That is one hell of an entrance.

Huh. The guys have a lot of transfers in.

Poor sad dude on crutches. You make me sad too.

I don't think that's how you say Mali, either, but that one I'm not so sure about.

I think Imani might be coming out of her shell...

D'awwww. Aria has officially hit weapons grade adorable.

I don't think they thought the smoke all the way through.

Akina just hit a three from somewhere in Joliet. Kayla can't quite dunk, though.

I don't care about dunks or the goddamn DJ dunking.

Time for the men's scrimmage. Joy. Okay, Ponds swishing one from, like, Co-Op City was awesome. I could enjoy watching him. Lots of inside looks for Simon, too.

Responsible videoing: give your teammate the baby while you record, Maya. I have no idea whose baby that is.

I knew Sox wasn't going to contain herself forever.

Shooting contest of some variety next. 2 guys, 2 women, and 1 student, five spots. My money's on the team with Kina and Ponds. Closer than I thought, but I was right.

Oh, look, another year where the women don't scrimmage. Insert cranky face here.

I'll give the musical act a shot. Or at least I will if they quit delaying.

Men's/women's dance-off, because we weren't going to get away without awkward dancing. Didn't last long. I think they were red-hatting.

Couldn't make out the musician through the crappy mic. I left in the middle of the second number.

Nothing new, nothing exciting. It's abundantly clear where STJ's priorities are, and I don't share them.

No comments: