Friday, July 26, 2019

July 26th, 2019: All-Star Skills Challenge/3-Point Shootout

Las Vegas too hot for bebe.

Fan Fest is pretty cool so far, although the beverage prices are an obscenity. $6.50 for water?

Shout out to the lady in the Shock shirt from Oklahoma, to the San Antonio jersey, and to the lady in the home Wicks jersey. So far I've seen gear from Connecticut, Dallas, LA, Las Vegas (obviously), Minny, New York (not us), lots of Phoenix, lots of Seattle, and Washington. I thought I saw Chicago, but now I'm not sure. No Atlanta, no Indiana.

Merchandise selection is a bit limited. Hoping for better on game day.

One of my friends has informed me that a) Helen Darling, of all the random alumnae, is here, and b) her triplets are 17, and I object to this reminder of my mortality when I'm on vacation.

The passport stamp idea was cute, but the inconsistent requirements were annoying. The stamp at Kaiser Permanente is especially obnoxious.

I don't think Stefanie Dolson's calling is the DJ booth.

Mandalay has a very nice arena, but the seats are uncomfortably narrow and there is no leg room. Security was quick at least.

We've added Atlanta and confirmed Chicago, so the only team missing is Indiana. Do better, Fever fans.

Awesome jersey spotting: the entire Big Three, home Holdsclaw 23 Mystics, an honest to God Mabika jersey, the Kelloggs Swoopes jersey.

Looks like Bird is commentating and Stewart is ambassador-ing. I think Mama Taj and Michele Van Gorp are both working. Jasmine Thomas, on the other hand, is probably here to cheer on her teammates.

Shekinna Stricklen just went by on a cell phone. That's not what they mean by being dialed in from long distance, Strick.

There appears to be a shooting contest involving fans from every team. Minnesota won, but it went to a tiebreaker, and watching the Sky players' enthusiastic support of their representative was awesome. (although that nominal Sky fan was married to a Sparks fan, which would be a strange relationship unless built on shared nostalgia for Kristi Toliver, so way to break kayfabe, guys)

Shock of shocks, Griner took an excuse to dunk. She still lost the round.

Can we talk about that three by JJ with the ball guy impeding her?

Well played by the DJ, mixing in the instrumental from “Touch the Sky” after deShields won the skills challenge.

Spotted a fan in a Dupree tee (a Dutee?) so the collection is complete.

There are enough Liberty players, current and former, to declare quorum. I love it.

Apparently that *was* what they meant by being dialed in. Well done by Strick. Loved seeing Jonquel Jones film her post-event interview.

I don't want the nachos. I don't want the popcorn. I want that bowl, though.

The Sky players, both All-Stars and not, were adorable cheering on their teammates. Get you a squad like that.

Seeing the camaraderie among so many of these players makes me wish they'd done an open practice. I know they streamed it, but that's not the same as being there.

No comments: