Saturday, July 25, 2009

July 25th, 2009: All-Star Game

West 130, East 118

Eh. It is what it is.


I know it's going to be one of the more popular games because oooh there was so much offense and oooh it was so high scoring and ooh Fowles dunked. Big fucking shit. This was the least interesting All-Star game I've ever been to, and by far the most disappointing.

Of course, it didn't help that we got caught in an extra hour of traffic and therefore missed the Skills Challenge and Three-Point Shootout. :( It was so nice to have a Lib actually be involved in these events that I was pissed that I missed them.

Awful anthem. That must have been a thin crop of American Idol contestants.

Charde Houston is the best dancer in the West. Had some nifty moves to the basket. Anosike made her average in steals. She's got some vertical. She also looks damn good in a dress. (Spotted her after the game. That is a lot of fine woman.) Powell will not miss if you leave her open. Like, ever. Taurasi is quite the entertainer. I hope Cappie's tired. Sophia Young couldn't hit water if you threw her out of a boat.

Thompson committed a lot of fouls for an All-Star game. Jackson couldn't miss a three. Bird was slick. Swin looked like old Swin. Hammon started off hot and got cold.

Shameka was firing from deep- hitting some, but leaving shots short because Dunn wouldn't take her out of the game. Perkins did a great job playing the passing lanes and I love her instinct for the ball. DeSouza took the game more seriously than anyone, and I love her for it. Lyttle didn't get in much. Jones was there but mostly used as a pick. Smith looked like crap.

Douglas has some stroke. Beard couldn't hit a damn layup. Fowles was strong in the middle, but that dunk was some bullshit. Dupree looks real pretty out there. Catchings has nice lines.

Game notes are short, aren't they? Yeah, I put the same amount of effort into them that the players put into the game. Half-speed and half-assed. I'd rather have seen half the scoring and twice the defense. Go to the floor without tripping over your own feet. Bring it all or don't bring it at all.

Trying to get swag was just as hard. My mom was lucky because I was able to snag a returned XXL I-design tee. They sold out initially before the game even started. With only five tees, and only two players, available, I imagine there were a lot of frustrated fans.

The halftime show was annoying. Would someone tell the blonde lady she forgot to put her pants on?

Fans sighted: Atlanta (in surprising force), Chicago, Connecticut, Houston (not just folks flying the flag- one lady told me she was from Houston), Indiana (not gear, but a sign), Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, San Antonio, Seattle (provisionally), and Washington. Detroit, Minnesota, Sacramento, if you were in the house, holla back. Loved the blinged-out Dream shirt at the practice yesterday, the Dawn Staley jersey, the team-autoed Sparks jersey, and the Shameka Christon cheering section. Shoutout to the family that repped three different teams: mom in a Swoopes shirt, older girl in a Griffith jersey, younger girl in a Toliver jersey.

Dinner with Board Junkies was very nice. That was the high point of the day.

3 comments:

pt said...

I agree. It was a pretty dismal game. I couldn't even focus on taking notes on it either, and just game up.

Anonymous said...

I guess I shouldn't be so disappointed I wasn't able to attend this yr. Got a question, what happened on the long pass Taurasi tried to throw to Bird that ended up in the crowd. The camera panned back to her and she was on her behind. Did she get tripped on the endline?

Rebecca said...

In belated answer- I didn't see the play, since I was on the opposite endline. I got the impression she just tripped over herself, though.